Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Quicksand

Today I worked on chapter two of Lowcountry Boil. I decided to rewrite it in first person, but it's not from my protagonist's point of view. It's from her brother's. I worked on it for an hour or so, changed my mind and recopied the old version, changed my mind back and worked on it a little more, tossed it a second time...this went on all day. When this kind of indecision abducts me, I feel like I'm drowning in quicksand. I finally finished the chapter in first person, but I'm just as likely as not to toss it out again tomorrow. I feel like I accomplished less today than I did yesterday (nothing).
On another happy note, I got two short story rejections from a literary magazine today. Oddly, that did not depress me. I used to go into a decline every time I got a form rejection, but I've been inoculated. A growing stack of rejections will do that. It's just another sheet in the folder. The law of averages dictates that sooner or later, somebody somewhere will publish me if I am relentless enough.
Jazzercise didn't happen today, but it's not my fault. I couldn't sleep last night, worrying about getting up at 5 to make the 5:45 class, so naturally I over slept. I decided to hit the computer early (to make up for yesterday) and go to the 6:00 pm class. I had good intentions. Circumstances too mundane to commit to the written word conspired against me, and, alas, I missed the 6:00 pm class too. But, I made it through the day without the aide and comfort of a Mega Moo Mocha Moolatte. Now that depresses me. Hey, Dairy Queen is still open...

1 comment:

elysabeth said...

Susan,

I'm enjoying your blog very much. I can see you are putting a lot into it. I know how you feel about the doctor's visits and all - I have a friend who also has been told by a technician - not even a doctor - that she has a spot on her lung and then the doctor called her after 5 p.m. on Monday evening and she wasn't even available to take the call - kind of crappy way to deal with a possible something on a lung x-ray by having an x-ray tech first tell the patient that there was a spot on the lung and then the doctor can't even make phone calls during normal business hours and so now it's wait and see what is said.

Good luck with your tests and hopefully the spot is nothing (an artifact on the x-ray, happens a lot of times) - and that all your other health needs aren't too bad and that you continue sharing with us - keep up the good work - E :)